Shanghai New Year's stampede kills dozens

At least 35 people killed and dozens injured in a
stampede during New Year' s celebrations in China's
largest city .
At least 35 people have been killed and dozens
injured after a stampede broke out during New
Year 's celebrations in the Chinese city of
Shanghai, state -run media has said.
Citing Sina News , CCTV America said the the cause
of the stampede on the Bund, the financial hub of
Shanghai's popular waterfront area , was still
unclear.
At least 48 people were also injured, reports said.
Jenny Chan , 24, visiting from Hong Kong for New
Year at Chenyi Square on the Bund , told Al Jazeera:
" I was heading up to the viewing platform in order
to see the light show . But there were so many
people , I couldn 't put my feet down on the steps .
People behind me kept pushing . I could hardly move
and I felt as though I was dangling in mid air.
" It was very crowded. I almost couldn' t breathe
and I heard someone behind me call for her help,
and someone scream. It was a total mess. Someone
pulled my hair. I think they were trying not to
fall down.
" Someone brought out a loudspeaker and tried to
maintain the order. On the ground I could see blood
and bodies , and some people 's faces were covered in
bruises.
" I' ve never felt so near death."
Speculation
US national Andrew Shainker said that "it was
impossible for emergency services to get in there
given the people and chaos".
" We saw people on the opposite side of the street
pushing - people trying to go up and people trying
to go down . We heard screams of
panic ," Shainker , who teaches English in the city,
told AFP news agency .
Pictures posted on social media showed huge crowds
surrounding people lying on the ground in the
middle of the street, but they could not be
immediately verified.
Local media say witnesses reported earlier seeing
coupons, which at first glance looked like dollar
bills , being thrown into the crowd which triggered
the stampede .
Pictures of the coupons have appeared on social
media and a news portal . Police say they are still
investigating the cause.
Authorities had earlier cancelled a New Year 's
countdown with a 3D laser display at the Bund due
to crowd concerns , the Shanghai Daily reported
last week.
The event had been growing in popularity for three
years, but last year's turnout of some 300 ,000
people far exceeded authorities ' expectations , the
report said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ogun NACHPN buried scribe, amidst of tears

15 facts about the late Ogun NACHPN Scribe, Late Adekunle Adeniji

NANNM Issues 15-Day Ultimatum to FG on Nurses' Verification and Other Demands